TITLE: Criminal Records Check
All applications for employment must be made in writing and must be received by the District prior to the deadline for applications for the position. Any questions regarding the timeliness of an application shall be referred to and resolved by the District Director. In accordance with state and federal statutes, a criminal record check is conducted on all new or prospective employees, contract personnel, interns, and volunteers.
- The District shall maintain an "Application for Employment" form that conforms to all laws, rules and regulations regarding equal employment opportunities. The District’s Employment Application also contains a Background Waiver which states the following: “I authorize the Fifth Judicial District Department of Correctional Services and its employees and/or agents to check into my background to determine suitability for employment as a Departmental employee. Included herein is the gathering of information relative to violation(s) of law that have resulted in conviction(s).
In addition, my signature hereon will release other agencies, employers, and schools, their employees and/or agents from liability for supplying background information to the Fifth Judicial District Department of Correctional Services. I realize that if I do not allow this release of information, this refusal shall be grounds for denying employment”.
- All applicants must complete a Fifth Judicial District Department of Correctional Services Application for Employment form. All applicants who submit only a resume shall be mailed an application form within one working day, and must still meet the application deadline with submission of the completed form.
- Persons may file an Application for Employment form with the District at any time. However, an application form which has been filed prior to an opening being announced will only be pulled for consideration for a specific opening upon request of the applicant, in writing.
- All Application for Employment forms which are received by District units shall be forwarded to the Personnel Technician who shall maintain them for six (6) months after the date of receipt by the District.
- Applications must be accompanied by transcripts, if applicable, (university, college, high school, etc.) before a candidate is considered for selection. This is also required for internal and inter-district promotional purposes.
- The Personnel Technician will review all applications to ensure that all job qualifications and skills, per the job description, are met.
After interviews have been completed and the top candidate(s) for the position have been selected, all available references, in particular, previous employers shall be contacted for information on the candidate(s).
In checking references, questions may be asked as long as the questions pertain to the applicant's ability to perform the job and do not ask for information upon which illegal discrimination could be made.