TITLE: Hazardous Materials
To provide a safe and healthy work environment, the Department shall provide each employee with information on the identity of hazardous chemicals in use within the work setting and will ensure that staff are trained regarding their proper use and handling.
Hazardous Chemicals: Chemicals which may endanger the physical safety or long-term health of an exposed person. See the attached Appendix which lists materials and/or terms used for identifying hazardous chemicals.
Physical Hazards: Chemicals which have properties which pose hazards to the physical safety of exposed persons are:
combustible liquids, compressed gases, explosives, flammable liquids, gases or solids, organic peroxides, oxidizers (promote combustion in other materials), pyrophoric substances (subject to spontaneous ignition in air), unstable materials (subject to hazardous reactions under certain environmental conditions), and water-reactive materials (releases hazardous gas when reacting with water).
Health Hazards: Chemicals with properties which endanger the long-term health of exposed persons are:
Carcinogens, toxic or highly toxic agents, reproductive toxins, irritants, corrosives, sensitizers, hepatoxins, neprotoxins, neurotoxins, agents which act on the blood formation system, and agents which damage the lungs, skin, eyes, or mucus membranes.
- Labeling of Hazardous Chemicals
- The manufacturer's label must be kept on all chemical containers, and must be legible and prominently displayed.
- Approved labeling will include:
- THE PRODUCT NAME/SUBSTANCE IDENTITY
- APPROPRIATE HAZARD WARNINGS
- PHYSICAL HAZARDS
- HEALTH HAZARDS
- PERSONAL PROTECTION
- NAME AND ADDRESS OF THE CHEMICAL MANUFACTURER, IMPORTER, OR OTHER RESPONSIBLE PARTY (if available).
- The identity of the material that appears on the manufacturer's label must be the same name as listed on the Hazardous chemicals Inventory and the MSDS for that substance (See Procedures B and C, below).
- All staff are responsible to read the printed label directions on each chemical container, and shall inform clients using any such chemical/product to read and adhere to the following:
- Directions for use - How to use, where to use and how to dilute or measure.
- Dangers - Protective safety measures and/or equipment to use to prevent health and/or physical hazards and proper disposal methods.
- First Aid - Measures to take for direct contact with the concentrate to include medical attention.
- If a container should be found without a proper label and/or directions for use are defaced, the employee shall contact his/her supervisor immediately for replacement.
- Transfer of Chemicals To Other Containers - Chemicals transferred to other containers, (e.g., spray bottles, boxes, drinking cups, etc.) Must also be properly labeled. However, labeling is not needed if the chemicals being transferred are intended only for the immediate use of the employee or client.
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- An MSDS containing the information required by the Federal Hazard Communication standard will be kept for each substance listed on the Hazardous Chemicals Inventory.
- All applicable MSDS' shall be available and readily accessible to all employees in the work unit.
- The supervisor/Manager will ensure that a MSDS has been obtained on all hazardous chemicals used within the workplace and that staff have reviewed/been trained on the chemicals hazardous characteristics prior to its use.
- Hazardous Chemical Inventory Form
- Hazardous substances known to be present in the work place must be listed on the Hazardous Chemicals Inventory form.
- The identity of the substance appearing on the Inventory form must be the same name that appears on the manufacturer's label, and the Material Safety Data sheet for that substance.
- The Supervisor/Manager will ensure that the Inventory form is updated when new hazardous chemicals are introduced into the workplace.
- Protective Equipment
- Protective eye, face and hand equipment shall be required when there is a reasonable probability of injury that can be prevented by such equipment.
- Eye goggles and protective hand gloves are expected to be worn when the situation is hazardous, such as the adding of concentrate chemicals to water to make cleaning-water solutions. Continued use of hand gloves is recommended when subject to all cleaning-water solutions, thus avoiding skin tissue irritability, sensitivity and industrial dermatitis.
- Employees may obtain protective articles such as those listed above through request of their supervisor.
- Disposal of Chemicals/Containers
- Do not reuse empty chemical containers.
- To dispose of chemicals/products: Read and follow the disposal instructions on each container's label or the respective MSDS.
Any incident or accident involving personal exposure to a hazardous chemical which resulted in/may result in injury or a personal health concern, must be immediately reported to the supervisor.
- Hazardous Chemicals Unit Manual
- The Supervisor/Manager for each unit will ensure that a Hazardous Chemicals Unit Manual is kept up-to-date and is accessible to all staff of the unit.
- Contents of the manual will include the following:
- Orientation Training material
- A copy of the Department's policy and procedures on hazardous chemicals
- Hazardous Chemical Inventory form, which lists applicable chemicals in use within the unit
- Material Safety Data Sheets for all hazardous chemicals listed on the Inventory form.
- The program manual shall be used for training of new employees, and will serve as a reference resource for all employees of the unit.
- Staff Training
Supervisors/Managers shall provide all employees with information and training on hazardous chemicals in their work area at the time of their initial assignment, and whenever a new hazard is introduced into the work area.
- New Employee Training - Within 30 days of initial assignment, new employees shall complete the following:
- Review the unit's Hazardous Chemicals Unit Manual, which shall include an up-to-date Chemical Inventory Form and respective Material Safety Data Sheets.
- Training confirmation Form Distribution: Original - Administration
Copy - Supervisor