TITLE: Life And Long Term Disability Insurance
All employees who work thirty (30) or more hours per week are eligible to participate in the State of Iowa life insurance and long-term disability insurance programs. The Department shall pay the portion of the premium required by the current Collective Bargaining Agreement. Additional life insurance may be purchased at employee expense.
Full-time Employees (those who work 30 or more hours per week): The Department pays the amount of the premium established in the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Part-time Employees (those who work less than 30 hours per week) are not eligible for life insurance coverage.
- In order to enroll for coverage, the eligible new employee must complete the appropriate application forms and forward them to the Personnel Technician within fourteen (14) days of hire date. Coverage will begin on the first day of the month following the completion of one full calendar month of employment.
- Supplemental life insurance is available to each eligible employee at an additional cost to the employee. Medical underwriting is required for certain coverage. Application forms for supplemental insurance must be completed within fourteen (14) calendar days of hire date. Application forms and current premium rate sheets can be obtained from the Personnel Technician. Supplemental coverage will begin the first of the month following receipt of approval from the insurance provider after going through medical underwriting. Deductions for employee share of premiums are taken out one month in advance of coverage start date.
- An employee may make a change in life insurance coverage only during the annual open enrollment period (Approximately October 20th – November 20th with changes effective January 1st). Changes may be initiated by obtaining a medical underwriting form from the Personnel Technician.
- Part-time employees are eligible for coverage if they change to full-time and apply for life insurance coverage within 30 days of beginning full-time employment. It is the employee’s responsibility to make appropriate application for change(s) of coverage.
- Information booklets describing the group life and long term disability insurance coverage are available in each department unit. Additional copies may be obtained from the Personnel Technician, also.