PREA - Prison Rape Elimination Act
Contractor, Volunteer, & Training Information
Pursuant to the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) Standard 115.32, all contractors, vendors and agents doing business with the Fifth Judicial District Department of Correctional Services are hereby notified of the agency's zero tolerance policy regarding sexual abuse and sexual harassment. Contractors employing persons having direct contact with offenders are required to complete PREA training and sign the required documentation prior to entering the residential facilities.
702.17 SEX ACT
The term "sex act" or "sexual activity" means any sexual contact between two or more persons by: penetration of the penis into the vagina or anus; contact between the mouth and genitalia or by contact between the genitalia of one person and the genitalia or anus of another person; contact between the finger or hand of one person and the genitalia or anus of another person, except in the course of examination or treatment by a person licensed pursuant to chapter 148, 148C, 151 or 152; or by use of artificial sexual organs or substitutes therefor in contact with the genitalia or anus.
709.16 SEXUAL MISCONDUCT WITH OFFENDERS AND JUVENILES
- An officer, employee, contractor, vendor, volunteer or agent of the department of corrections, or an officer, employee or agent of a judicial district department of correctional services, who engages in a sex act with an individual committed to the custody of the department of corrections or a judicial district department of correctional services commits an aggravated misdemeanor.
- An officer, employee, contractor, vendor, volunteer or agent of a juvenile placement facility who engages in a sex act with a juvenile placed at such facility commits an aggravated misdemeanor.
For purposes of this subsection, a "juvenile placement facility" means any of the following:
- A child foster care facility licensed under section 237.4.
- Institutions controlled by the department of human services listed in section 218.1.
- Juvenile detention and juvenile shelter care homes approved under section 232.142.
- Psychiatric medical institutions for children licensed under chapter 135H.
- Substance abuse facilities as defined in section 125.2.
- An officer, employee, contractor, vendor, volunteer or agent of a county who engages in a sex act with a prisoner incarcerated in a county jail commits an aggravated misdemeanor.