FORT DES MOINES COMMUNITY CORRECTIONS CENTER
VISITING INFORMATION (For Visitors, Residents, and Staff)
Visiting is a privilege of the residents at the Fort Des Moines Community Corrections Center. Visitation is completely dependent upon the Residents performance in the Program. Visiting hours may be amended due to violations of the facility rules.
The following are policies and procedures for visitation:
- Any person wishing to visit a resident must be placed on the residents visiting list, which then has to be approved by the resident's counselor. Persons on Probation/Parole will not be allowed to visit the facility. It is the resident's responsibility to provide all the information requested on the visitation sheet. If this is not completed in its entirety, the visit will not be approved.
- Visitors must park motor vehicles west of building 68 or behind building 65/66.
- Photo identification is required of all visitors and must be presented to staff at the control desk upon entering the facility.
- Visitors must sign in and out on a visiting list at the control desk.
- Any person entering the facility is subject to be "patted down". Any person suspected of having contraband can be strip-searched. Visitors will be asked to leave if they smell of alcohol or act inappropriately.
- Visitors are not to bring in any contraband items: controlled substances, drug paraphernalia, alcohol, food or drink, etc. Iowa law states that any person who enters the facility with a controlled substance can be charged with a Class D Felony (up to 5 years imprisonment). This includes cigarette papers.
- Purses, handbags, or other personal containers are not to be brought into the facility.
- For the respect of all, visitors must be properly attired. Shirts and shoes must be worn and visitors may be barred if they are wearing inappropriate clothing.
- Children under 18 years old must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, or have verifiable written permission from a parent or guardian.
- Residents are responsible for their visitors. If for any reason a staff member feels a visitor should be removed from the facility for behavioral reasons the visitor must comply.
- There will be no physical contact, except with children, during visiting hours.
- Residents are allowed five visitors on their visiting list (with family being considered as one).
- No more than five visitors are permitted to visit a resident at any one time.
- Visitors must immediately leave the facility grounds when visiting hours are over.
- All visits will be in designated areas.
- Visitors will be allowed to use the visitor's restroom, but residents will not. Residents will not be allowed to use the restrooms during visitation; they will have to take care of their personal needs before visitation.
- No outside food or drink is allowed. Visitors and residents may only purchase items from the vending machines in the visiting area.
- There is no smoking during visitation.
- Visiting hours: Wednesdays and Saturdays 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm.
The visiting program at Fort Des Moines Community Corrections Center is an integral aspect of our program. We encourage family members and friends of residents to visit. We appreciate your cooperation in adhering to the above outlined conditions.
Fort Des Moines Community Corrections Center
- 7 pants/shorts (casual, dress, work).
- 7 shirts (casual, dress, work).
- 7 pair of underwear.
- 7 pair of socks.
- 1 pair work-shoes/boots.
- 2 pair casual shoes/tennis shoes.
- 1 pair shower shoes.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Mouthwash (no alcohol).
- Shaving equipment (no straight edge razors, no clippers/trimmers).
- Cologne/aftershave (non-glass, non-aerosol).
- Shampoo, soap and holder.
- 3 wash rags and 3 towels.
- Foot powder.
- Writing paper, envelopes, pens, pencils, postage stamps.
- 2 reading books.
- Alarm clock radio (no CD/tape player).
- Plastic hangers and laundry basket.
- Powder Laundry Detergent (6lbs or smaller), dryer sheets, Spray & Wash (no bleach, no spray starch)
- Box or desk fan.
- $20.00 cash (This will increase with each level/ phase).
- Federal Residents can have $70.00 cash.
- Liquid shoe polish.
- Plastic drinking cup.
- Instant coffee in plastic bottle (unopened)
- MP3/Ipod without phone, camera or recording capabilities.
- Headphones/walkmans without CD or Tape playing capabilities.
ITEMS NOT ALLOWED:
- Pillows, bed sheets and blankets.
- Tobacco products/chew.
- Cell phones, cameras, stereos, CD's, tapes.
- Extension cords, plug multipliers.
- Food or drink.
ALLOWED IN ENTRYWAY LOCKERS ONLY:
- All tobacco products - cigarettes, cigars, chew, lighters, matches, etc.
- One(1) cell phone - Only with Counselor approval.
- Glass/Aerosol bottle of cologne.
* For additional items refer to the contraband list in your resident manual.
These are the personal items allowed. It is recommended that no valuables be brought in, such as jewelry, watches, leather coats, etc.