WOMEN'S RESIDENTIAL CORRECTIONAL FACILITY
VISITING INFORMATION (For Visitors, Residents, and Staff)
Visiting is a privilege of the residents at the Women's Residential Correctional Facility. Visitation is completely dependent upon the Residents performance in the Program. Visiting hours may be amended due to violations of the facility rules.
The following are policies and procedures for visitation:
- Any person wishing to visit a resident must be placed on the residents visiting list, which then has to be approved by the resident's counselor. Persons on Probation/Parole will not be allowed to visit the facility. It is the resident's responsibility to provide all the information requested on the visitation sheet. If this is not completed in its entirety, the visit will not be approved.
- Visitors can park only in approved areas. Please obey no parking signs.
- Photo identification is required of all visitors and must be presented to staff at the control desk upon entering the facility.
- Visitors must sign in and out on a visiting list at the control desk.
- Any person entering the facility is subject to be "patted down". Any person suspected of having contraband can be strip-searched. Visitors will be asked to leave if they smell of alcohol or act inappropriately.
- Visitors are not to bring in any contraband items: controlled substances, drug paraphernalia, alcohol, food or drink, etc. Iowa law states that any person who enters the facility with a controlled substance can be charged with a Class D Felony (up to 5 years imprisonment). This includes cigarette papers.
- No money is to be brought into the facility for a resident unless prior approval is given by the counselor. Any money that is approved must be handed to the resident in the presence of a staff member.
- Residents are not allowed to receive flowers and/or balloons.
- Purses, handbags, or other personal containers are not to be brought into the facility.
- For the respect of all, visitors must be properly attired. Shirts and shoes must be worn and visitors may be barred if they are wearing inappropriate clothing.
- Children under 18 years old must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, or have verifiable written permission from a parent or guardian.
- Residents are responsible for their visitors. If for any reason a staff member feels a visitor should be removed from the facility for behavioral reasons the visitor must comply.
- There will be no physical contact, except with children, during visiting hours. Visitors and Residents are allowed one brief hug at the beginning and ending of each visit. This can be done in the common area, not in the entryway.
- Residents are allowed five visitors on their visiting list (with family being considered as one).
- No more than five visitors are permitted to visit a resident at any one time.
- Once a visitor exits the building, the visit is over. Visitors must immediately leave the facility grounds when visiting hours are over.
- All visits will be in designated areas.
- Visitors will be allowed to use the visitor's restroom, but residents will not. Residents will not be allowed to use the restrooms during visitation; they will have to take care of their personal needs before visitation. Residents are not allowed to go to their rooms while they have visitors in the facility.
- No outside food or drink is allowed. Visitors and residents may only purchase items from the vending machines in the visiting area.
- The facility is a smoke free environment.
- Visiting hours are from 1:00pm to 5:15pm on Sundays. Visiting times depend on what wing a Resident is assigned to. The following schedule applies:
A Wing: - 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
B Wing: - 3:15 PM to 5:15 PM
- Residents not receiving visitors must remain in their assigned rooms and study or work on assignments. Residents will not be allowed outside. Pay phones are not to be used. The laundry room will remain open. Medication will be dispensed per normal procedures.
The visiting program at the Women's Residential Correctional Facility is an integral aspect of our program. We encourage family members and friends of residents to visit. We appreciate your cooperation in adhering to the above outlined conditions.